Saturday, September 23, 2006

Small and Sinful, but Loved Without Limits

The Earth as seen from Apollo17 on its way to the moon, December 7, 1972
(Above: The Earth as seen from Apollo 17 on its way to the moon, December 7, 1972)

We live on this relatively small globe of rock, water and flora that sits within a modest system of planets and moons. Surrounding us is a much more substantial environment composed of stars and nebulae known as the Milky Way Galaxy. Beyond the Milky Way there exist billions of other galaxies scattered throughout a boundless space known as the universe. It is rather easy to consider ourselves completely without significance in the midst of such grandeur.

Yet, our God does not see us this way.

Our world is defined by rampant expressions of sinfulness and evil, a place where the beauty of life is too often overshadowed by mankind's iniquities. Not only should we deem ourselves insignificant in the grand scope of Creation, but an unwanted brood of detestable creatures as well. What worth can we possibly have?

In God's eyes, more than we could ever begin to imagine.

God does not see our sinfulness as a reason to cast us off, but as an opportunity to extend His grace and His mercy. He does not see us as tiny, useless beings sitting in the middle of a universe too large for us to comprehend. Rather, we are His prized possessions, and for us He gave His life that we might be saved. He came to redeem us. Let us therefore choose His way and celebrate His mercy.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not die, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed...the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53:5-6)

3 Comments:

At 8/15/2009 3:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is so beautifully written and truthfully so too. I'm leading worship in my church and struggling with myself yet God used me today to lend hand to a friend and I believe he used you website to lend me a hand. I'm using chunks of words at our worship service tomorrow. God bless you!!

 
At 8/15/2009 3:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is so beautifully written and truthfully so too. I'm leading worship in my church and struggling with myself yet God used me today to lend hand to a friend and I believe he used you website to lend me a hand. I'm using chunks of words at our worship service tomorrow. God bless you!!

 
At 8/17/2009 3:37 PM, Blogger Corey said...

Thank you, Pall. I wrote these entries almost three years ago and recently read back through all of them. It's just my small way of glorifying the Lord. Of course, there are no words to adequately describe all that He is, but I'm glad you were inspired!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home